Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Noticed puss and blood filled small bumps at the base of penis. Concerned about herpes and STD

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
Hello and thank you for your willingness to help.

I am a male, 20 years old, 5'11" and 180 lbs. I noticed (the first time about 3 months ago) small red/clear bumps in the mons pubis area, none of which are clustered; they're all spread out and individual. They appear similar to the natural bumps of hair follicles, but exaggerated.

When I first noticed these, there was one very prominent one about an inch above the base of the penis. It appeared much like very severe acne. Upon squeezing/popping, it discharged pus and blood. The other, smaller bumps do not burst easily but if I do, it isn't very painful but they do bleed.

Nearly all of these bumps seem to be on sites where hair would grow from, leading me to believe it's a skin condition something similar to acne, but I am concerned about herpes or other STDs/STIs since I am sexually active and admittedly unprotected at times. I have abstained since I first noticed this issue until a few days ago and am concerned for the health of my partner more so than my own. I do plan to have a laboratory test at a health clinic, but it would ease my mind to at least understand what the possibilities are.

Thank you so much again.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
The lesions you are describing can be folliculitis, furuncle,molluscum contagiosum,sebaceous cyst ,angiokeratoma etc.

Out of all those mentioned above mollucum contagiosum is a type of sexually transmitted disease.It is caused by molluscum virus .It spreads by skin to skin contact.Can spread even with condom use as only skin contact is needed.
It is not serious and can be treated easily.

Also blood tests for HIV would be needed if it turns out molluscum contagiosum.

If you can upload photos of the affected area it would be of great help in predicting the condition and narrowing on the possibilities.

Upload the images and we can continue the discussion here.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you have.

dr Sudarshan.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed puss and blood filled small bumps at the base of penis. Concerned about herpes and STD 1 hour later
Alright, I uploaded two photos. The scab/deep red bump is simply one that I had intentionally popped and so it bled a little. The purple/bruise-like XXXXXXX is where the original large bump that popped was. It left that XXXXXXX after it otherwise subsided

Thank you again for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing in.
I was able to see the photos.

Also I would like to know-
Since when you have this ?
Are these lesions persistent or they heal and come again?
Is there any pain associated?

Please answer the questions to help you better.

After going thorugh images it appears to be molluscum contagiosum.
As discussed earlier it is a sexually transmitted infection.

Answer the question and we can go ahead.

I will be available for follow up.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed puss and blood filled small bumps at the base of penis. Concerned about herpes and STD 4 hours later
I've had this for about 2.5 - 3 months now and it's been persistent, not recurrent. There's no pain, even to the touch, and just occasional itchy sensations.

Are there specific antibiotics, ointments, or anything like that that I should consider taking? Or is this something I will simply have to keep clean until it heals naturally?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for the details.
As of now it appears you have moluscum contagiosum.
It is a viral infection and it spreads via skin to skin contact.It can regress spontaneously but it will take long time upto 1year or so.
It is better to get it removed.
It can be extracted or removed by RF cautery.
This will prevent further spread and treat existing ones.
It can be done at dermatology clinic as an day procedure.

It is simple ,painless and quick procedure to get rid of molluscum.

Hope this helps.

dr Sudarshan.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor