Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Noticed purplish lumps on inner thighs. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have a purplish lump that seeps when squized on my inner thigh behind my scrotum it's about 1" and soft and raised about 1 cm
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Purplish lumps on inner thighs could be either a sebaceous cyst or a infected hair follicle or a fungal infection.
However considering the size, location and the seeping nature of the lesion it seems most probably to be a sebaceous cyst.
A sebaceous cyst is a lump that is found on the body. It contains a closed sac that contains an oily substance that resembles cheese. This substance is called sebum. Often the contents of a sebaceous cyst have a foul odor.
An experienced medical professional can usually tell what it is by a thorough physical examination of the lump . However, doctors sometimes order biopsies in order to make sure a patient doesn't have another condition that looks similar. Treatment is usually easy as well. In fact, most sebaceous cysts don't require any specefic treatment unless it is infected .
Though most sebaceous cysts do not develop into anything different, it is possible for them to get infected and form abscesses. When this occurs, the patient may experience pain in the area, and removal may be necessary surgically .
Meanwhile you can try the following for some relief,
1.Apply moist heat to it. You can either use a moist heating pad or take a washcloth and wet it with extremely hot water. Place it over the cyst for about 15 minutes two times a day.Take care to wipe the region dry later to prevent moisture induced fungal infections
2.You may try prescription antibiotic ointments like mupirocin if there is any pus oozing out or pain or redness or increased warmth and swelling in the region.
3. In case there are any more such lumps or there is progressive worsening of the present lump it's best to consult your dermatologist who can confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate treatment .

Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor