Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Noticed painful swelling at vaginal entrance. Sign of cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 828 Questions
I have a small swollen painful bump/swelling on the top left part of my vaginal entrance. It popped up/ I noticed it after having sex about a month ago. I may have scratched it, or something, but it came up suddenly and hasn't gone away. It is not a bartholin cyst, nor a skene's duct cyst. It is about the size of a pin -head, and its swollen and painful only to the touch. Urinating does not hurt, wiping does, but only if I wipe while applying pressure. I am going to the obgyn in a week. Could I have cancer?
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 16 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

Your symptoms of painful swelling at vaginal entrance suggest a boil or furuncle.

It is caused by infection of hair follicle.

Definitely, it’s not cancer since it has a short duration of course, painful, localized swelling and you being just 24 years old.

So relax.

Consult your Gynaecologist for antibiotics.

You can use hot fomentation and NSAID's (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) for symptomatic relief until the time definitive treatment is started.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

You may write to me anytime for further clarifications.

Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed painful swelling at vaginal entrance. Sign of cancer? 52 minutes later
Thank you so much Doctor, I appreciate it.

Would putting a topical anti-biotic, like Neosporin, help or hinder the process? I will try putting hot compresses on it, as well as sitting in a hot bath.
Also, just to clarify, the bump is right next to the urethra opening, right at the vaginal entrance at the left upper side, maybe 10:45 o'clock, ( If the vaginal opening was a clock, and the urethra was at 12 o'clock.) It appears to be similar to the other side of the the urethral opening, just slightly more red.
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 5 hours later

Topical antibiotics like neosporin will not be very useful in your case.
You need systemic antibiotics to get rid of the boil.

Don't worry about redness. Everything will subside once inflammatory process is over.

You can write to me anytime to my following link WWW.WWWW.WW
Take care,
Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor