Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Noticed painful lump on vagina. Should I take antibiotic? Could it be STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
Three weeks ago I got a small painful lump on my vagina. It hasn't gone away or got worse. I went to the Dr and she said it would prob go away on it's own or get worse in which case i should take anti biotics. Now I have another one, bigger and more painful that seems to have sprung up out of nowhere, higher up. I am really worried. I really don;t think it can be an std as have been with my husband for 6 years and we have both been checked and also always use a condom.
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

At the entrance of vagina one Bartholin's gland is located on either side.

When duct of gland gets blocked, cyst is formed.

If it gets infected, an abscess is formed.

You are probably suffering with Bartholin's abscess.

It is not possible to conform diagnosis without examination.

To identify causative organism and effective antibiotics, culture and sensitivity test may be required.

It may require catheterisation or incision.

Please consult a Gynecologist for diagnosis and treatment.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor