Noticed painful bump behind earlobe. Can this be cysts or swollen nodes?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Son had earring in for a month without cleaning. He noticed bump behind earlobe then realized his lobe was red and hurt. He took earring out original bump has gone done now has a second painful bump behind ear above the first one. Can this be cysts or swollen nodes fighting off the original infection?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
A painful bump above the original infection is likely to be due to a swollen lymph node to fight off the infection. Most of the times such swellings subside on doing a hot fomentation and taking mild pain killers.
In case the swelling is persistent then systemic antibiotics may be needed after an examination by a physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.