Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Noticed painful bump behind earlobe. Can this be cysts or swollen nodes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
Son had earring in for a month without cleaning. He noticed bump behind earlobe then realized his lobe was red and hurt. He took earring out original bump has gone done now has a second painful bump behind ear above the first one. Can this be cysts or swollen nodes fighting off the original infection?
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
A painful bump above the original infection is likely to be due to a swollen lymph node to fight off the infection. Most of the times such swellings subside on doing a hot fomentation and taking mild pain killers.
In case the swelling is persistent then systemic antibiotics may be needed after an examination by a physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor