Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Noticed pain and blood coming from ear after using Q-tip. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
My daughter was cleaning her ear and bumped the Q-tip in too far.She was in pain for a few minutes, and then the pain subsided. We did notice a little blood, however she was able to hear just fine. Last night while she was sleeping, more bleeding occured. I wasnt too worried. Now she is complaining of a "watery feeling" in her ear that is making her ear "plugged" and sounds are muffled. I am worried it is still bleeding. Should I take her in to the doctor? She is not experiencing any pain.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through the history, I do presume there could me a possibility of either trauma to the external auditory canal or tympanic membrane.

Trauma to the external canal is more likely because, there was no immediate loss of hearing or ringing in the ear. The later development of muffled hearing could be due to the collection of blood and clots in the external auditory canal.

Either may be the case, still you should consult your doctor for a complete evaluation and appropriate management.

My advice to you is:
1. To avoid water getting into the ear.
2. Not to use any sort of drops or cleaning materials to clean the ear.
3. Administer oral antibiotics to prevent impending infection.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor