Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Noticed orange specks in semen. Have enlarged prostate. Longer time to urinate. Guidance?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14854 Questions
Hello Doctor,

I've recently noticed what appears as orange specks or sediment in my semen. I wasn't certain of whether it is as a result of blood or some other cause. I felt a few of the specks and noticed that they are tiny hard objects. As for what may be related, I have an enlarged prostate, but according to my doctor it is within "normal" range. I do take longer to urinate, and sometimes trouble. I am not taking medication regularly. I do not experience any pain when I urinate or ejaculate, and I notice the specks with both (urination and ejaculation). I'v had a PSA test and it was normal, and no problems indicated during the test, but the PSA was not very recent. My urine color is yellowish, not dark brown or clear. I drink lemon tea mostly, but coffee sometimes. I occassionally drink coke, but not very regularly or often. I feel ok, and have not experienced any illness. As for the specks, they do not show up regukarly, but unexpectedly and "once in a while". I would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Orange crystals in the semen can represent stones from the urinary tract.
Crystals or stones can precipitate out in the urine and then subsequently be ejaculated out in the semen.

They can represent crystals from any aspect of the urinary tract: the kidneys, ureter, bladder, prostate or urethra but the kidneys or prostate is most common .

Researchers have found uric acid crystals in the semen of men , these individuals were treated with low purine diet and the symptoms resolved.

To determine if this is the reason for your crystal particles, samples would need to be sent to the lab for analysis. An ultrasound would also be beneficial. This would demonstrate the stones in the tract.
The treatment would vary slightly according to the type of stones found by analysis, they respond to different dietary modifications.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor