Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed movable bump under foreskin. No itching or discharge. Worrisome

Answered by
Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal


Practicing since :1976

Answered : 1872 Questions

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: Doctor, my Son is 5 years old. Today we noticed he has small bump on the shaft of penis which is movable under the foreskin.
From the outer it appears slightly white coloured foreskin (as the whole penis is brown in colour)
He has no complaints and there is no discharge and itiching...but I am worried about him..please help

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 59 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. However there is nothing to worry as small nodules of sebaceous glands do form and they disappear over a period of time. Nothing has to be done and it shall not cause any harm.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications that you may have or would like to add new facts of the case.

Wishing your son all the best.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply.

Uploaded the two images for your reference. Please have a look.

I am waiting for your feedback.

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thanks for uploading the images. You need not worry for this swelling. Such swellings are commonly seen. They will subside on their own and is not going to effect him.

I hope I have answered your doubts to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back, if required.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 35 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your quick reply. We are very much relieved.

Just a few clarifications:
By looking at the images, What is your opinion regarding the reason for swelling?
As you mentioned in your first reply that there are small nodules of sebaceous glands which do form under the foreskin. So is this swelling due to Sebaceous glands?
Does the hygiene also is a cause of such swelling?
Because as far as we could see and clean the penis by pulling back his foreskin (till the point it goes) it appears very clean.
So we are wondering what could be the reason for this swelling and how it can be prevented?
How long it generally takes to subsides?

We know that you have been showered with lot of questions :) But we can't help as we are worried parents. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

Waiting for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 44 minutes later

Thanks for your queries which are very genuine.

It has nothing to do with hygiene. Sebaceous glands produce sebum which is a form of natural oil of the skin. When the opening of the gland gets blocked the sebum collects and form such swellings. They do not recur and nothing needs to be done. Continue keeping the hygiene as you have been maintaining.

It is difficult to say the time it will take to subside. In some cases it may subside in a few months and in some case may persist and nothing needs be done.

I hope I have clarified all your doubts.

Wishing your son all the best.



P.S.: in case you intend closing the query then do provide your feedback.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Circumcision

doctor1 MD

Hello Sir ,

My Age is 27 years and I am doing the Masturbation since the age of 14. Now i have realized that the my penis foreskin is increased and it covered the penis cap also when it is normal condition. Is that because of masturbation and since last 4 years I have done intercourse with too many girls in africa and in India also . Is that increased foreskin will give me any problem in future when i will get married or is that normal while looking my age .

doctor1 MD

I am a 40yr old male. 5'10" and weigh 165lbs.
I have protected sex with different women. I have started noticing a red bump after intercourse. It is generally painful, but goes away after a few days.
Recently another painful bump has appeared and just after intercourse I started feeling a burning sensation when urinating and discomfort that same day. It has been 4 days since the intercourse, but the area is still painful to touch when I clean it in the shower. I am not circumcised.

doctor1 MD

Frenulum Breve and treatment
I'm fifteen and my frenulum/ banjp string is short, I remember tearing it awhile back
. I could not forget that much pain. I went to my doctor after it naturally healed and now as I get a erection it hurts and is causing discomfort. especially if i trrty to pull the foreskin back also if I try and lay it out flat when flaccid it bends and this ia concerning me greatly, my doctor said to wait till I was sixteen and that's in less then half a year. I have been researching some treatments like frenulumplasty and stretching and circumcision, I am wanting a referral to a urologist/specialist to see their opinion but I don't know if shell give me it, so will I have to wait a few more months or can I get it now since I've been waiting for over a year! and what treatments are available. can I chose a procedure such as frenulumplasty or circumcision first? or will I have to do stretching exercises? I highly doubt the exercises will work considering it broke before and I had to let it naturally health since I was to embarrassed to tell anyone... I need answers...

how long must I wait for a referral?
how do I ask for one?
and what will the specialist likely do first? exercises then surgury or can I chose surgury straight of the bat and pick which one I want and need??

I'm around 90 I sh lb's
Im on anti psychotic and anti depressants minor head injury in a past event and have attempted suicide and self injured. Doc I ain't so much concerned for my mental health right now. I'm more concerned about my manhood...

doctor1 MD

Hi, im 19, A while ago i notice 3-4 freckles appear underneath my foreskin, anyway i must have left them for a year or so now and they arent raised and i dont think that their painful. should i go and see a doctor? could they be cancerous? their like lightish brown and a bit larger than the frecles on my arms of which i have a lot. thanks, embaressed to go to doctors haha.

doctor1 MD

I am 30 years old. I just had circumcision in August. From October I started developing brown/black patches on the penis glans . The patches are around the urethra starting from areas where the stitches are placed. I need some guidance as to why...

doctor1 MD

I'm 25 and have never retracted foreskin from penis gland( mild phimosis ). When I do touch it it hurts( probably cuz I've never exposed my head in 25 years) 2 questions 1. Is preputioplasty good way to fix my problem ( since my penis head is...

doctor1 MD

Hi there Dr. Kakkar, I have asked you a question before about pumps on my penis. I went to see a local doctor and he confirmed your diagnosis and prescribed a cream which took care of the bumps within 10 days. Thanks you very much for that....