Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Noticed lump on testicle. Ultrasound done. Feeling burning sensation in groin area. Any solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
hello...this past Wednesday I noticed a lump in my right testicle. It appears to be on the lower end of the testicle and does cause some discomfort when touched. I went to the doctor yesterday and believes most likely it is not a cyst nor hernia. I have a ultrasound this week and in the meantime hoping to get other opinions.

some additional notes:
the lump has not increased in size
I felt a slight pull and burning sensation in the groin Tuesday evening. The following evening I felt the bump in my testicle. Also the last year I've aggravated the right side of my groin 3 times and appears to be less strong than before.
The lump which is at the bottom right testicle seems to be along a path of tubing. I can't be certain but can feel either nerves or tubes.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding your concern.

The most likely cause of the swelling which you are experiencing as your doctor has already stated is a cyst. This is a benign collection of fluid and is not a type of cancer.

I am very glad to know that your doctor has ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound will help to rule out any type of cancer. Again the possibility of cancer in this case is very very small.

These cysts can sometimes form spontaneously. I doubt there was any type of thing that you did or any particular injury or movement which contributed to the formation of this cyst.

Unfortunately there's not much that you can do for this at this time. Warm compresses or any type of local therapy are not very helpful. Sometimes if the area of swelling becomes very large or symptomatic a surgeon could possibly drained assist.

Again I think we are dealing with a very benign issue. The ultrasound certainly should be performed in order for the radiologist to tell you and your doctor definitively what is going on.

I thank you again for submitting your question. If you have particular additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed lump on testicle. Ultrasound done. Feeling burning sensation in groin area. Any solution? 2 days later
Thanks for the answer Dr. XXXXXXX

I went for my ultrasound yesterday and now awaiting the results. I was inspecting the lump further last night and can say with certainty when standing i need to reach behind the testicle to get at it. I tried pressing down and it feels like some fluid is in there. I also followed the path and as I get near the end I can feel some sort of 'piping'. Not too sure if ive been playing with this lump too often but now I seem to have heaviness in my lower intestine (below the belly nutton). I havent been eating much the past couple of days and this issue has caused me alot of anxiety so im hoping the stomach issue is attributed to that. I started eating full meals last night and my bowel movement seems to be regaining normality.

Is all this normal or expected?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

I think a lot of your intestinal symptoms and appetite issues are related to anxiety. This is very normal. It is human nature to worry about this type of thing.

We will have to wait for the official report of the ultrasound to see what is going on. I suspect this is a benign cyst but we really need the radiologist to tell us for sure.

Thank you for keeping me updated. I am available if you have any additional follow-up concerns.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor