Noticed lump in bottom of mouth. Which specialist should I consult?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hi, a few weeks ago I noticed a small lump down in the bottom of my mouth in the right hand side. I have had a routine dental appointment this morning so mentioned it to my dentist, he advised if it hadn't gone in the next two weeks then i should go back and he will refer me to ENT. I am really worried about what it could be, it was really difficult for him to see it as my tongue is in the way of it but he said he could see some kind of nodule on my tonsil tissue. Any advice would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

The tonsillar region and the area surrounding this region is difficult to see without the aid of special instruments and illumination. As far as tonsil is concerned, there are a couple of lesions arising from the tonsil which include a cyst, crypt abscess, hyperplasia or a tumor rarely.
I would be in a better position to help you if you could get someone to click a picture and upload it. also, I would like to know if you have any symptoms associated with it. Also, I would like to know if you use any form of tobacco.
However, the exact site of the lesion can be determined by clinical examination. A good exam can help us decide the course ahead.
At this stage, you should not be worrying about this. In all probability, this would be a benign process. We could probably start you on a course of antibiotics and send in a sample of the affected area to the laboratory.
That would be the most logical step ahead. Do make it a point to see your physician anyway.
Let me know if you have more questions
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli