Owl Image

Noticed lump covered with red rashes on side of neck. What could it be?

Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I have a large lump on the side of my neck that just appeared and then last night a raised red rash covered the area. My dr. Appointment isn't until Monday. What could it be?
No pain, just itchy.no heat or fever or any symptoms.
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 18 minutes later

The possibilities I would consider are insect bite, swollen lymph node, enlarged thyroid gland, localized infection. With short duration of your symptoms, these possibilities are high.

There are many other structures present in the side of neck, which also can cause such swelling like aneurysm from blood vessels, out pouching of the esophagus/ pharynx. These are rare and less likely in your case.

If the lump is growing fast or causing difficulty in swallowing / breathing, then you need to consult a doctor in emergency.

Hope that answers your question. If there are more questions, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck.