Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

128 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed lump covered with red rashes on side of neck. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 349 Questions
I have a large lump on the side of my neck that just appeared and then last night a raised red rash covered the area. My dr. Appointment isn't until Monday. What could it be?
No pain, just heat or fever or any symptoms.
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 18 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

The possibilities I would consider are insect bite, swollen lymph node, enlarged thyroid gland, localized infection. With short duration of your symptoms, these possibilities are high.

There are many other structures present in the side of neck, which also can cause such swelling like aneurysm from blood vessels, out pouching of the esophagus/ pharynx. These are rare and less likely in your case.

If the lump is growing fast or causing difficulty in swallowing / breathing, then you need to consult a doctor in emergency.

Hope that answers your question. If there are more questions, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now