Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Noticed lump attached to lower jaw. No pain. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 698 Questions
My 8 month old baby has a pea or slightly larger sized lump that is very, very hard (no movement) and appears to be attached to the bottom jaw bone slightly right of her chin. She also appears to be teething in the bottom two front teeth, which will be her first. I'm concerned that the lump has not decreased in size over the last 2 days since I found it. It's not visible and does not appear painful.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 24 minutes later

Thank you for using XXXXXXX to address your query. I am Dr. Taher and I will try to answer this for you. First of all, let me tell you that small lumps of this kind are likely to be lymph glands, but your mentioning that it is very, very hard and does not move makes me think it is bony in consistency. Bone swellings that are attached to the underlying bone can be cysts (i.e. fluid-filled) or be solid-like in consistency.

There are a myriad such growths that can be present right from infancy, and most are benign in nature, but some can turn into nasty problems, so my suggestion is for you to take the baby straight to her pediatrician or to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. She will need the following tests - an X-ray of the jaw bone, a full blood count, and a bone scan and/or a bone CT scan, to start with.

Further treatment can be determined only after the details of each of the above tests are known.

Please let me know how this pans out. I am waiting for your follow-up.

I suggest this even if your daughter is otherwise well and feeding etc. properly.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor