Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Noticed large painless lump inside vagina. It feels deep between vaginal walls and bladder. What is it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
Hi, I found a large lump inside my vagina-- if I'm lying on my back, it would be at the top. It feels deep under the tissue between the vaginal walls and bladder. No pain, so I'm not sure how long it's been there.
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: cystocele or bartolin cyst Detailed Answer: Hi, it appears to be cystocele. Bladder protruding through weak wall of vagina. It needs to be examined by a gynecologist to confirm the diagnosis. Another possibility is collection of fluid called bartholin's cyst. Please get examined to differentiate between the two. Both of these can be corrected by minor surgery. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed large painless lump inside vagina. It feels deep between vaginal walls and bladder. What is it? 8 minutes later
Thank you, Dr Koregol. I've looked up the Bartholin gland, and that seems, from the illustrations, to be on the labia, rather than inside the vaginal canal. Am I misreading them? I've also found information on Skene's gland-- could you tell me the location difference? I found it last night, so I have had no chance to call my gynec, and my mind is racing. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: cystocele Detailed Answer: Hi, skene's gland can lead to hypertrophy and seen very adjacent to urethra. Its a relatively small cyst that too near entry of vagina and not deep inside. Where as bartholin's cyst includes bit of labial tissue and can be seen lower part also. Since your lump is inside vagina and if its large, its more likely to be cystocele. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor