Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Noticed large bump above the collar bone. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
Hello..I am a 65 year old female good health..about 115 lbs and last night felt pain in left side of neck in the morning I thought it was the way I slept. Tonight I noticed a large lump just above the collarbone right above to the side of the v and will move with touch..and you can see swolen area on outside. I had not noticed anything before. What Dr. should I see? I am very concerned as I have always been health conscious. . Also sore when I swallow on the side.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer: See primary care physician, Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The fact that the lump appeared so fast and is tender or painful, makes the possibility of an acute infectious process or inflammatory process most probable. It is very likely that this should be an enlarged lymph node. it would be necessary to know if you have had any infection, wound, tooth , mouth or throat infection lately. This could be an enlargement of the lymph node which is a normal regional immunological response. Other rare causes of neck lumps like cysts and lipomas should also be considered. An infected cyst can be painful. But the scenario here makes it not very likely. A lipoma is unlikely because it is not generally accompanied by any pain. I suggest you consult your primary care doctor first for a complete clinical review. Simple Analgesics for the beginning like ice parks and Acetaminophen could be sufficient to control the pain as you wait to see your doctor. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. I would be glad contributing to your well being. Kind regards as I wish you good health. Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor