Noticed joint pain near ankles after taking Lipitor. Is it due to side effects of medicine?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello. I am taking lipitor just stsrted about one month on yhu s medicine. I am exp eriencing joint painin some areas like ankles . do u think the medicine is an issue...
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be related to the medicine Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Lipitor contains atorvastatin and it's known to cause muscle and joint aches, however in our practice it is usually dose dependant, where higher doses are seen to have more side effects than lower doses. Please approach your doctor to get a total cpk test done to see if it's because of the drug and also to seek the option of switching over to rosuvastatin. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards