Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Noticed irritation in penile shaft after dry shaving that area. Noticed painful bump. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Critical Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 1663 Questions
I am a healthy 29 year old male. Recently dry shaved (without shaving cream) my penile shaft and testicles. I had some typical irritation occur but I have noticed I have a painful bump that remains. It is red and hurts. I am worried I have an ingrown hair. It bleeds a little when squeezed and gave off a little fluid/pus earlier too when squeezed. I am curious other than not dry shaving any longer, what I should do to make this go away? Also, I just wanted to make sure this does not appear to be something like a wart. I am not sexually active but recently had my girlfriend sitting on top of me with just underwear on. She does not have any STDs known. But just want to play it safe to rule out for paranoia sake. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a boil.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX.
Thanks for writing to us.
Relax there is nothing to worry. I have examined all the three images attached by you carefully. Most probably this bump is a boil that is infection of hair follicle. Second probability is super added bacterial infection on a very minor abrasion during shaving. This doesn’t looks like to be due to any sexually transmitted disease. It needs a short course of antibiotics for 4 to 5 days along with some analgesic anti inflammatory drugs to reduce the discomfort. Consult a general physician for prescription of antibiotic and analgesics. Mean while you can apply local antiseptic solution over it. Hopefully it will get settle down in 4 to 5 days.
Hope this answers your question.
If you have any more question in your mind, write back I am readily available to answers your queries.
Take care and regards.
Dr Sadiq
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor