Noticed inflamed sinus, dry throat and uvula. What could be the cause?

Dr. Satyadeo Choubey

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have asked ENT specialists on site and have had some responses from them. In the meantime 4 and a half weeks since the onset, there seems to be no relief or signs of normality returning to my uvula and soft palate. Have you come across something like this before? Sinuses are also a little inflamed and nose will cleanup sporadically during the day. I will take claritin and do a nasal irrigation and spray a xylitol nasal spray in as well. I gargle with salt water and aloe vera juice during the day. Night times I have no problem going to sleep but I tend to always wakeup a couple of hours before normal rising time due to a dryer throat and the uvula being annoying on the tongue. I do snore but have propped myself up with pillows and try to sleep on my side as much as possible. I am feeling a little distraught that this is lasting so long. What can it be? Allergy panel (as in profile) only showed dust mites and dust, bermuda grass and olive tree pollen as allergens. I live in San XXXXXXX and the pollen and allergen count is low at present. Could it be food related?
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 11 days later
Brief Answer: Use antibiotics and nasal spray as advised Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I went through your history and can feel your agony. What I feel is, you have got allergic rhinosinusitis. The picture you have attached is showing inflamed oropharangeal mucosa. I think you must go for a throat swab gram staining and culture examination. In the meantime you may try a course of antihistaminc (e.g cetrizine, or continue loratidine). Also use a nasal spray combining azelastine and fluticasone. A course of antibiotics like amoxycillin-clavulanic acid 625 mg twice daily for 7-10 days, may be needed initially. Since 50% of patients with allergic rhinitis have concomitant asthma, do get evaluated for that if you feel breathless or have wheezes at night. Many a times inflamed oropharyngeal mucosa may lead to airway obstruction during sleep. If it has remained for a chronic period, go for a sleep study. If obstructive sleep apnoea is evident, CPAP device will relieve you. Best wishes