Noticed hard, movable, painless and swollen lump in groin area. Taking antibiotic. Cancer?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: I am a female, 40 yo. Two weeks ago I just happened to notice a lump in groin area, figured it was swollen lymph node. Hard, oblong, moves, about an inch and painless. Then I noticed about 2 inches below another one. Hard, about 1/4 inch, painless doesn't move. Went to doctor, figured an antibiotic since I have had a cold and that could be reason. Doctor put me on a strong antibiotic for 7 days. Did not decrease in size in fact another small one popped up to left of the big one. Hard, painless, doesn't move. Had a pelvic ultrasound done yesterday won't get the results probably until Thursday I figure(tech said 2-3 business days) I am not jumping the gun on Cancer as usualy a swollen lymph node is a sign of infection/virus. What can I do to decrease the size? Maybe a longer dose of antibiotics? Possibly a steroid? Or does it just take time to go away? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I want to reassure you that most of the time when there is swelling in the area of lymph nodes it is usually not cancer. You're correct that viruses and infections typically cost enlargement of lymph nodes. In addition if there were some type of allergic or inflammatory response this can cause enlargement of lymph nodes.

I don't think additional antibiotics are indicated at this time. You have asked if there are some type of recommendations that we would consider to help the lymph nodes slowly resolved and really the best way for this to occur would be for your body to naturally recover. Good nutrition as well as good hydration and sleeping habits are important in order to nurture and promote good general health and commune function.

Right now I think your focus should be just as I have stated above. I am fairly confident that this does not necessarily reflect any type of cancer. I think the ultrasound is reasonable at this time. Continued observation would be the best approach at this time and if this is something like I suspect then it should resolve within 2 to 4 weeks.

If you're having some discomfort associated with the lymph nodes what you might consider is doing some warm soaks in a bathtub once or twice per day for 15 to 20 minutes.

Thanks again for sending your question. I hope I have helped you with some good information and reassurance. If you have any additional concerns that you would like to discuss please let me know.

Dr. Robert