Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Noticed hard lump under c section scar, sensitive to touch. Should I consult obgyn?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12722 Questions
I had my third c section on May 24th--about 4 months ago. I noticed a couple months ago that I had a hard lump under my c section scar. It didn't seem like it was on the skin, but below it--like in the tissue. It was sensative, but only when I touched it.

It became really sensitive over the past few days (it hurt even when I didn't touch it) and today when I felt it, I was all wet/sweaty there. (My stomach overhangs my incision).

Just a while ago, I got a mirror to check it out and it was leaking. It looks like a pimple, but a big one. It had a head on it. I squeezed it and a lot of pus came out. I mean a lot! And it is very thick. I was able to collect it and put it in a container in case I need to go to the Dr and he wants a culture taken. It's more pus than I've ever seen come out of a pimple so it makes me think that's not what it is.

Do you have an idea of what it might be? Should I go see my OBGYN?

Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems that there is a small abscess near your scar line. It can be due to an infected skin gland in the area or a retained suture material near the scar line.
It is good that you have drained the pus. Apply antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or Fucidin thinly at the site for 3-4 days. The way ahead would be to consult a doctor who can examine the area and drain the remaining pus from the area and also treat you with a course of antibiotics.

In addition to the above, you might take Ibuprofen tablets 400 mg , every 8 hours. This will help to reduce the pain and inflammation in the area.

In addition to this application of hot packs might be very helpful.

With proper treatment, the pain and your symptoms should subside within a week.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor