Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed hard lump after dog bite. Should I consult a doctor?

Answered by
Dr. Puneet Maheshwari

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 662 Questions

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: I was bitten by my dog about 3 weeks ago now I have a hard lump should I get it checked by a doctor and what could it be.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 43 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

Based on your description, I can think of 2 possibilities:

1. The hard lump under the scar could be a HYPERTROPHIC SCAR/ KELOID. This can appear following an injury to the XXXXXXX dermis (skin) and any injury heals with inflammation and scarring. Most hypertrophic scars may undergo partial spontaneous resolution, but it might take a couple of months.

Is the scar /lesion red in colour, any associated itching, tenderness/pain, is the lump elevated above the scar?

2. Localised induration of the underlying structure can occur as a result of inflammation. This can also cause similar hard lump.

Though both are not serious concern, I encourage you to consult a nearest doctor for a physical examination. I am sure your doctor will be able to differentiate the lump and relate it.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Hypertrophic scar

doctor1 MD

OKay, so what does this look like to you?

doctor1 MD

I have a Old accident clot in may hand. It happened in 2011 after wound has been healed a skin clot has been generated. Even over the time it has been reduced up to 50%. But still 50% is there. Can you please suggest some medication other than...

doctor1 MD toddler was scalded and suffered deep second degree burns, she developed thick hypertrophic scarring using a compression garment. I thought compression was to prevent thick scarring? WIll she be scarred for life or will the scarring noticably improve?

doctor1 MD

Do you think this is basal cell carcinoma? white indented scar-like spot with partial blistering around border. It itches as well!