Owl Image

Noticed hard lump after dog bite. Should I consult a doctor?

Owl Image
Dr. Puneet Maheshwari

ENT Specialist

Question
I was bitten by my dog about 3 weeks ago now I have a hard lump should I get it checked by a doctor and what could it be.
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 43 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

Based on your description, I can think of 2 possibilities:

1. The hard lump under the scar could be a HYPERTROPHIC SCAR/ KELOID. This can appear following an injury to the XXXXXXX dermis (skin) and any injury heals with inflammation and scarring. Most hypertrophic scars may undergo partial spontaneous resolution, but it might take a couple of months.

Is the scar /lesion red in colour, any associated itching, tenderness/pain, is the lump elevated above the scar?

2. Localised induration of the underlying structure can occur as a result of inflammation. This can also cause similar hard lump.

Though both are not serious concern, I encourage you to consult a nearest doctor for a physical examination. I am sure your doctor will be able to differentiate the lump and relate it.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.