Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed growth of new hair and white bumps on penis shaft. Looking for solution

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hello, I noticed a white bump similar to a pimple on the bottom of of my penisimshaft. I have noticed more hair growing on my penis as well lately.
There is no pain, looks like a pimple when I have an erection.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The growth of new hair is a completely normal process and has to do with your hormone production as well. This is nothing to worry about.

The pimple-like structure you have noticed could most probably be an 'ingrown hair'. Have you shaved in the area recently?

An ingrown hair is when a hair follicle tries to push the hair from the follicle through the skin to the surface. But, it is not always successful in doing so. In such a scenario, the hair gets obstructed under the skin (producing a bump which looks like a pimple) and starts growing to the side, under the skin. This at times causes redness of the skin in the area and very very very mild pain in the same region. This is nothing to worry about.

The only other possibility could be folliculitis, which is a mild infection of a hair follicle. This will subside without treatment as well.

The best thing you could do is to take a warm water shower and if possible even apply a warm compress in the region two to three times a day. Both conditions are simple and nothing to worry about. Be assured.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further information. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor