Noticed green colored stool. Is this normal?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi, i noticed after using the toilet, my stools are a greenish XXXXXXX colour, but I notice the toilet paper when I wipe is a yellow color. is this normal??
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic.
The colour of the stools depend on various things like food ingested (high chlorophyll will lead to XXXXXXX stools), high vitamins, iron supplements etc. The yellow colour imparted to the stool is due to the bile salts released from the liver. If these salts are released in large amount and move unchanged across the intestine, then in that case the stools can appear XXXXXXX Now the coating is mostly on the outer surface and hence the stools appear XXXXXXX But when you clean it with toilet paper, its not the outer surface that you clean and obviously it will be yellow.
You need not worry unless you have pain in abdomen, fever, frothy stools or yellowish discoloration of skin.
You have also mentioned that you have depression and anxiety disorder. You will surely be more worried about trivial issues than is required to.
I am sure you are on proper treatment for the depression and anxiety.
Hope I am able to solve your query.
I will be happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
If you are satisfied by the answer, you can close the query and rate it accordingly and provide a review if possible.
In future You can contact me directly on this link as well:
WWW.WWWW.WW