Noticed faint line on pregnancy kit. Could I be pregnant?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: hi I took a pregnancy test this morning and could have sworn I saw a line where the positive line would be but after aabout a minute i didnt see it anymore. Im 4 days late and had what I think was implantation bleeding about 2 weeks before my period was supposed to start. Could I be pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

The incident you described may occur sometimes. During the test, when you give the urine drops, it travels through the strip. During this process, a very faint line can be seen in the area of positive line. It is because the wetness of the particular area. After this, when the urine reacts with the reagent in the control area, then the control line appears as bright in color. At this moment, the positive result line cannot be detected if the test is negative. If the test is positive, you can detect both the lines easily.

As the test is negative, there is less chance of pregnancy.

But to confirm the report, you have to do the followings -
1. Repeat the test. If the repeat test also indicates negativity, there is very less chance of pregnancy.
2. If you need more confirmation, you have to do a BETA HCG assay in blood. Higher level of BETA HCG will indicate positive result.
3. In our clinical practice, we take the ultrasound scan of abdomen as a gold standard investigation for pregnancy.

So, do not worry. Repeat the test. If that becomes noncontributory, then consult with a gynaecologist for clinical examination and for ordering the required investigation as I previously mentioned.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later
ok thank you. Also i had what I thought was implantation spotting two weeks before my now missed period. Could it be that I am pregnant and that it is too soon to test even tho Im about 4 days late? Also, would the spotting make my period late if I am not pregnant? The spotting I should add was dark brown in color and I only had to wear a panty liner.It lasted for 4 days.
Thank you for writing back.

No, the implantation bleeding cannot late your period, if you are not pregnant. The spotting you mentioned may occur during implantation or even during normal ovulation. It is difficult to distinguish the two entities.

The pregnancy test should be done on or after the day of missed period. So, if you are let for 4 days, the the timing is absolutely right.

For confirmation of the situation, you have to follow the instructions as I previously told.

Regards.