Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Noticed eyes are burning, red and watering. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14995 Questions
Hi. 30 yo male. Both eyes burn and are red all day. Crusted over in mornings. There is a continual discharge and excessive watering all day. This is day 3.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The usually reasons for redness , watering and discharge in the eye are (1) infection of the eyes (2) allergies

Allergies are usually associated with itching and there may be a previous history of allergies in the eyes or with the sinuses.Treatment would involve the use of oral antihistamines as well as eye drops for allergies such as pataday. If possible it would be best to avoid what ever is causing the reaction to prevent recurrence.

Infections can be caused by viruses or bacteria but viral infection is most common. It is very contagious and spread by contact with the discharge.Treatment involves eye hygiene- this means using clean cotton wool or wipes to remove the discharge when it occurs, washing hands after wiping

Eye drops may be necessary if the doctor believes it is bacterial. Viral infections resolve on their own after a few days of eye hygiene.

To determine what is causing your specific symptoms you may need to visit your doctor , if possible so he or she can determine whether it is as a result of infection or allergy.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor