Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

158 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed discoloration on the penis head. Which specialist should I consult?

Answered by
Dr. G.Srinivasan


Practicing since :1991

Answered : 1414 Questions

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Question: I am a 34 year old uncircumcised male, married never cheated and father of one. In the last 6 months I have noticed the head of my penis starting to turn pearly white, it started just on the underside and as there were no obvious effects and all the research I did suggested it is just something that happens over time I thought nothing of it. In the last 2 months the discoloration has started to spread up the sides and I am now finding it difficult to reach climax with my wife due to loss of sensitivity. There is no pain when urinating, I clean with soap regularly, for a short time I think there was some swelling as it felt like the foreskin had shrunk because it was very tight when I was erect but that has since passed. The little piece of skin on the bottom of the penis head does feel sensitive and can sometimes feel almost bruised or stretched even when flaccid, my GP said he had never heard of anything like this and had no idea who to refer me to. Do you have any answers for me?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

welcome TO XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

It is unfortunate to hear about the problem.
Having seen your GP and not able to get to the diagnosis is unfortunate and i will try my best, though from a remote place, to try to help you out in all possible ways, i can.
The description rings me a bell and it is most probably, what we call BXO- balanitis xerotica obliterans.
This is basically a skin disease but can affect the foreskin, glans and can spread to the urinary opening (meatus) as well.
Only a careful examination by a UROLOGIST and a DERMATOLOGIST would solve the puzzle.
Having said all that, it usually gives rise to more problems at urination than at sex.
The sexual problem may even be unrelated.
I would be happy to know the feedback from you, once you see the above mentioned specialists.
Once the diagnosis is made, treatment options can be discussed and to be back to the best of health---

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures ,  

Recent questions on  Balanitis

doctor1 MD

Just under two years ago I contracted Chlamydia which then resulted in reactive arthritis. I had the typical symptoms of swollen joints and also circinate balanitis. Within ten months or so all symptoms had ceased with the exception of the balanitis. It is treated successfully with a cortisone cream but I've read that prolonged use can actually make the condition worse. Is a prolonged period of balanitis normal after chlamydia caused reactive arthritis? Are there other more effective meds available. Are there other causes, bacterial or fungal, that might be causing this? Any help is appreciated.

doctor1 MD

I am having itching and red blisters on my penis forehead. There is also skin tightening. A doctor suggested me that it is balanitis and prescribed Ebernet ointments . Subsequently the symptoms reoccurred and I was given Fudic ( fusidic acid +...

doctor1 MD

Hello i have a question about a red bump on the shaft of my penis. It looks like a pimple but its been there for a few weeks

doctor1 MD

I have a redness around the tip of my penis.

doctor1 MD

Hi I think my 14month old has balanitis he has had it before the doctor has said its ring worm but I am certain it's not it's it's not even in rings it's just an all over rash I have checked for memengitis and I know it's not the doctor gave me daktarin can I still use it some sites say I can thanks

doctor1 MD

I think I may have balanitis, what are the treatment options. It is the result of poor hygiene rather than contact with thrush. Symptoms inc. splochiness, irritation, small blisters, bad smell, smegma. Should I be thinking steroid creams or antibiotics?

doctor1 MD

Hello, about 2 weeks ago I had sex with a young lady. I wore a condom but it slipped off and i didnt notice it until after. I am uncircumsized. About a day or so later I started to have an irritation -- this has progressively gotten worse. It feels like burning on the head of the penis and around the testicles. I havent seen anything that looks like herpes but i did notice today a stain on the head, like red/brown. I am thinking it is a form of candidas balanitis perhaps? or Could this be herpes?