Owl Image

Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed discoloration on the penis head. Which specialist should I consult?

Urologist
Question
I am a 34 year old uncircumcised male, married never cheated and father of one. In the last 6 months I have noticed the head of my penis starting to turn pearly white, it started just on the underside and as there were no obvious effects and all the research I did suggested it is just something that happens over time I thought nothing of it. In the last 2 months the discoloration has started to spread up the sides and I am now finding it difficult to reach climax with my wife due to loss of sensitivity. There is no pain when urinating, I clean with soap regularly, for a short time I think there was some swelling as it felt like the foreskin had shrunk because it was very tight when I was erect but that has since passed. The little piece of skin on the bottom of the penis head does feel sensitive and can sometimes feel almost bruised or stretched even when flaccid, my GP said he had never heard of anything like this and had no idea who to refer me to. Do you have any answers for me?
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

welcome TO XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

It is unfortunate to hear about the problem.
Having seen your GP and not able to get to the diagnosis is unfortunate and i will try my best, though from a remote place, to try to help you out in all possible ways, i can.
The description rings me a bell and it is most probably, what we call BXO- balanitis xerotica obliterans.
This is basically a skin disease but can affect the foreskin, glans and can spread to the urinary opening (meatus) as well.
Only a careful examination by a UROLOGIST and a DERMATOLOGIST would solve the puzzle.
Having said all that, it usually gives rise to more problems at urination than at sex.
The sexual problem may even be unrelated.
I would be happy to know the feedback from you, once you see the above mentioned specialists.
Once the diagnosis is made, treatment options can be discussed and to be back to the best of health---

DR GS