Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed discoloration and red ring on penis head. No pain or itching. Suggest some cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
I had a partner or 5.5 years, we split up, and I have now been with the same partner, an no-one else since my split. I noticed that 1 week ago, that I had a red oval shaped ring appear on the head of my penis, with nothing in the inner area of what i am trying to describe.. My partner has no symptoms either. There is no discharge, there are no raised area's, it is not painful or itchy, I have no discharge, I can urinate normally. I also noticed slight discouloring in the groin area on both inners of my legs. I have been using canesten for a week now, and the discolouring has gone, but the red area on the penis is still there. I wash twice a day. I can send you a picture if that would help
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
If canestan does not work out, it could be bacterial balanitis.
Antibacterial plus steroid ( hydrocortisone/ betamethsone) local application thrice daily for 2 weeks should help.
If there is no response, a dermatologist help is necessary.
Wishing you good health
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed discoloration and red ring on penis head. No pain or itching. Suggest some cure 36 minutes later
So this is nothing more than a fungal issue? Is it contagious, if so should I refrain from sexual activity until it has gone? I was thinking initially ring worm or a yeast infection, any feedback would be appreciated
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later
Welcome back.
This does not look like STI. It is not contagious based on your sexual history.
If it is ring worm or yeast it should have responded to canestan.
So try the other methods i had already suggested and see how it goes.
If there is no response, a skin specialist help would do the needful to look for skin problems presenting in the penis.
Hope this helps, kindly revert back for doubts if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor