Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Noticed decrease in platelet count. Should I go for bone marrow test?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6247 Questions

I am a 67 year old male, who for the last 2 years has had a decreasing platelet count. (started low at 122 and has decreased with every blood test. It is now 114. My doctor, the last two years, has told me "we just need to keep a check on this".....I , however, am concerned that a severe problem may be ready to "surface". My father died at age 60 with leukemia. I, as of this writing, have no problems with bleeding and/or bruises. Should I look into a bone marrow test, or am I over reacting?
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Hello dear,
You don't need to worry much. Although there are familial tendencies in leukemia, it is not hereditary.

Normal platelet is between 150 to 400 thousand. Your values are somewhat lower, but few people have a tendency to develop mild thrombocytopenia with progressing age.

Also leukemia mainly affects the white blood cells, so I advice you to get your WBC count done.

Getting a peripheral smear done is a very good investigation to rule out leukemia.

Here are my suggestions..

1. Get complete blood count done every 3 months.
2. Get peripheral smear of blood for blast cells, done every 3 months.
3. The last and most important, don't worry.

Feel free to ask, if you have further queries.

If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly rate and close the discussion.

Wishing you a good health.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor