Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Noticed darker pigmented area outside the labia minora. Had a bump earlier in the same area. Suggest the solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I am 36 years old and have 3 children. When I went to shave today I noticed a darker pigmented area outside the labia minora. Its not raised or anything its just flat darker pigmented area, should I be concerned? There is darker areas little spots but this one is the one I noticed? I had a bump there a few months ago that I was able to pop and it went away so I am not sure if its from that? Its got a rectangle shape to it, just darker in color...
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need not be concerned

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
There is no need to be concerned about this pigmentation in your genital area.
As you had a boil at the same area, it seems this pigmentation is post inflammory hyperpigmentation( PIH) . PIH in your case occurred due to development of boil and due to its further manipulation( squeezing). Any inflammatory skin lesion can heal with lightening or darkening of skin( hypo or hyperpigmentation). It is a normal healing process.

PIH as such resolves with time. So no active intervention is required. But if it bothers someone cosmetically then one may try using Kojic acid cream over affected area for faster resolution of pigmentation.

Hope this helped.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor