Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed dark yellow and thick in density urine. What test should I undergo?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
I think I have a problem with my urine that might be affecting my kidney. My urine is always very dark yellow and thick in denisty, it also hurts me sometimes (not all times) when I start doing water pee. I also feel i want to itch in this clit area so much and on daily basis. I am not sure what this could be or what kind of tests shall I do.


Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be insufficient intake of water. Needs testi

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

The commonest reason for a dark coloured urine along with discomfort while passing urine is insufficient intake of water/liquids in your daily routine. If I were your doctor, I would advise you to take a load of water orally and see if the urine colour reverts back to normal and if the discomfort while passing urine is relieved. If it does, then there is nothing more to do, and you just maintain your proper water intake of 2-3 litres a day.

However, if the symptoms persist or increase in intensity, I would advise you for a urine routine and microscopic test followed by urine culture and sensitivity along with some routine blood tests like CBC, Blood suar both fastind and post prandial, and a kidney function test as a routine, and also a repeat thyroid function test if not done recently to know the thyroid status as you are already on thyroxine medication. Depending on the reports, I would go for an appropriate antibiotic, an alkaliser and a urinary antiseptiuc at least for 10-14 days depending on the response to cure your UTI. If need be I would also go for a repeat urine culture sensitivity test after 48-72 hours to see if the infection has been completely eradicated or not.

Because of the dark yellow colour of your urine as stated by you, I would also advise you for a liver function test to exclude any possibility of a jaundice, which is less likely on the basis of your history.

The itching of the genital area could be due to a fungal infection, and if it persists, then you have to get yourself examined by a gynaecologist who may advise you for some local/intra-vaginal anti fungal medication.

With all these information, you can discuss out with your family physician for further management, as the drugs I have mentioned are all prescription drugs. I hope I have answered your query. If you have got any further doubts, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX to clear your doubts on health. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed dark yellow and thick in density urine. What test should I undergo? 13 minutes later
Thank you for your detailed reply! Could you kindly advise me the Urine test names that I shall present to the laboratory in cairo?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Name of the tests mentioned earlier also.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Nice to hear from you so soon.

You can tell the laboratory to do a urine routine/microscopic test and also a urine culture and sensitivity test. The early morning first urine sample is ideal for these tests, as the urine is concentrated at that time.

Thanks and take care.

Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor