Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Noticed dark ring formation under foreskin. HIV and syphilis negative. Fungal infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 393 Questions
Hello Doctor,
From the last one month I have been noticing a dark ring like formation beneath my Penis skin. I consulted a physician. He tested me for HIV and Syphilis and both the test were negative. The formation is painless and quite rarely it itches. Is it just a fungal infection or is it something else. I am worried. Please help me out.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 48 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your history and picture uploaded. There is nothing to worry about the lesions you have.

Ring like formations usually indicates a fungal infection, although multiple other causes may exist.
To confirm a fungal infection, a simple test is required. This is done by taking a scraping of the affected skin and studying it under a microscope and doing a culture to detect the presence of fungus in it.
Once confirmed, oral anti fungals and topical anti-fungal creams are advised to eradicate the infection completely.

There are a few other possibilities like Annular Lichen Planus, although rare.This can be ruled out by a clinical examination by your dermatologist. In certain cases, a skin biopsy is required to confirm the diagnoses.

I hope this is helpful to you. I will be happy to answer any follow-up questions that you may have.
Wish you good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor