Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

156 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed cracks on foreskin and getting burning sensation while urinating. Any treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Raju A.T

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 3971 Questions

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Question: foreskin of my pennis has tiny cracks. these cracks cause burning sensation when i urinate. what is the treatment and how do i ensure that they dont recur
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 54 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

I would like to know some more details on your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

Are the cracks on the inner-side of the foreskin ?
Since when did you notice the cracks ?
Are they more symptomatic in the mornings ?
Is there any discharge oozing out from the lesions ?
Have you applied any medications on the same ?

With the simple description I could think of a condition can be termed as posthitis. It is curable. Topical antibiotic cream like Metronidazole or low potent steroids are used for a week. Proper hygiene with frequent washing and drying of the prepuce is an essential preventive measure.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 21 hours later
the cracks are on the outer side only.since two weeks. all the dischcharge. i applied betnovate n ointment.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for the information.

Based on the history, the cracks on the foreskin probably may be due to dryness of the skin (xerosis). The dryness is a common symptom associated with age and can be worsened with cold environment. But don't worry; dryness usually subsides soon on its own or with application of Vaseline (Petroleum jelly) / other moisturizer.

Besides that
- If you are active sexually, these cracks can be related to reduced lubrication.
- Allergic irritant may worsen the cracks.
- Fungal infections may also be a reason.

I would suggest you to try the moisturizer with antifungal cream as mentioned in my earlier reply.
Use good lubricants if you are sexually active.

In addition when such cracks appear, care has to be taken to prevent bacterial infections through the cracked surface. This can be done by cleaning the foreskin with antiseptic solutions like Cetrimide (savlon) twice daily and wear clean inner-wears.

Stop applying Betnovate ointment if it is not helping.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wish you good health...


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Circumcision

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am 25 yrs old male and i have problems in pulling the foreskin back. It pulls easily when not erect and when erect it doesnt go back automatically and I force it to pull back but again it doesn't pull back completely. Please let me know if this can be treated without any surgery and will this affect me from having a child?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have noticed some irritation on my foreskin. It has different colour patches on it, one White, different colour to the rest and some red itchy parts. It has been stinging after peeing and sometimes splits after intercourse. I have been using aquas cream and washing it regularly at least 3 times a day but I m now to worried to have sex as it hurts to do so and my partner thinks something is wrong. Can you help please?

doctor1 MD

hi i have had cuts like paper cuts on my foreskin for over a week, and have had it before a few times over the years, they just seem to clear up eventually and leave small scars. I havnt got got swollen or sore penis so its not balanitis just small cuts on foreskin whats the quickest way to get them to heal up as ive just started a relationship?

doctor1 MD

I have a bit of skin that continues to scab and crack upon recieving an errection where the glans of my penis meets the circumsized foreskin. what do you suppose is wrong mith me. I have already been re-circumzized due to a shotty job at birth and I want to be sure this painful procedure doesn't have to be done again.

doctor1 MD

I am 30 years old. I just had circumcision in August. From October I started developing brown/black patches on the penis glans . The patches are around the urethra starting from areas where the stitches are placed. I need some guidance as to why...

doctor1 MD

I'm 25 and have never retracted foreskin from penis gland( mild phimosis ). When I do touch it it hurts( probably cuz I've never exposed my head in 25 years) 2 questions 1. Is preputioplasty good way to fix my problem ( since my penis head is...

doctor1 MD

Hi there Dr. Kakkar, I have asked you a question before about pumps on my penis. I went to see a local doctor and he confirmed your diagnosis and prescribed a cream which took care of the bumps within 10 days. Thanks you very much for that....