Noticed circular spots on inner thigh and groin area. What could it be?

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: I have two light brown, very faint, circle-shaped spots on the outside of my pubic region. On on my inner thigh and on on my stomach. They are both right outside of the area where pubic hair would grow. The one on my thigh showed up three days ago and the one on my stomach appeared, yesterday. I've searched in Internet and cannot find any pictures that look like what I have.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to have some additional details.
It says you are taking flagyl for bacterial infection... could you please specify?
Any associated fever, itching or tenderness of the circle shaped spots/skin lesions?
Any history of allergies?
Anything different from the usual like, trying out a new food or a change in a detergent/softener or a change in the bathing soap? Allergies are a possibility .

Do get back to me with the above details.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow up: Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 15 hours later
The antibiotics are for a vaginal bacterial infection. No known allergies, I haven't changed any eating habits or changed detergents or lotions. I have been under an extreme amount of stress lately. I did begin using a new bath soap, as well, but it's one I used for years before...Dove Original. No fever or itching at all. And they aren't tender. In fact, I can't even feel them. I can only see them.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 10 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Are you using panties with elastic band? If you are allergic to the elastic, it might explain the lesion on the abdomen and thigh.

The two possibilities I can think of are : fungal infection, allergic reaction. Please visit your dermatologist for confirming diagnosis and treatment.

In the meantime,apply calamine lotion on the skin lesions twice a day.

Sign up for yoga classes. It might help you de-stress.

Hope this helps.