Noticed changes in mood and abdominal discomfort after taking eptoin 100mg. Side effects?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Question: My husband has been taking Oxrate 150mg for almost 9 years 0-0-1. Now he has been advised to take Eptoin 100mg 1-0-2 because he had three seizures in 12 hrs. There were no seizures for 4 years with oxrate.. After starting with Eptoin, he has changes in moods, abdominal discomfort etc.. Is Eptoin a better drug or is Oxrate good enough?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause of his seizures were inadequate dose of oxrate (oxcarbazepine).

The correct dose of oxrate is 10-20 mg per kg body weight per day. So, if his weight is 60 kg, he should take at least 600 mg per day, and at the most, 1200 mg per day, in two divided doses.

Regarding the comparison between oxrate and eptoin (phenytoin), both are possibly equal in efficacy (that is, their seizure control power is same). However, in terms of safety, oxrate is safer. Eptoin has more side effects in the short term as well as in long term use.

So, if I have to choose one, I would prefer oxrate, but at a higher dose.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any more queries, if you have.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 59 minutes later
Thank you, Doctor! What can be done when a seizure happens to prevent immediately close next ones? can an additional dose of medicines be given or is there a way to help a person sleep well once he recovers from seizure, to give adequate rest to the nerves and brain.
Are triglycerides a side effect of Oxrate? Or is it just a lifestyle issue? He does not smoke, very occasionally drinks, but has a comparatively sedentary lifestyle being a software professional. He follows only a vegetarian diet. If he exercises well, plays badminton and follows a very strict diet his triglyceride does come down.. however, it is difficult to always maintain it in right limits. In addition his HDL is low (29).. I am wondering if the AEDs have any reason for Cholesterol issues. Should he take any medication for it, since he cannot avoid AED.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back and asking all relevant questions:

1. To prevent further seizures, one can use intra-nasal midazolam at home or intra-venous midazolam or lorazepam at a clinic/nursing home.

2. High triglycerides and low HDL are usually not related to oxrate treatment. As you suspected, it is most likely due to sedentary life style, and our genetic predisposition. If medications are required, then fenofibrate can be given (under medical supervision).

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)