Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed burst vein in leg. What treatment should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Ram Choudhary

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 2272 Questions

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: A vein in my leg burst and now I have an open sore the size of a pencil eraser that won't heal.. How should I teat it?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your symptoms it seems you are having very bad varicose vein in your legs.
When very tortuous these veins tend to cause poor drainage and get congested and cause venous ulcers on the overlying skin.
You should get yourself examined by a surgeon because at times these veins can cause large ulcers overtime and do not heal, rather can lead to lethal sepsis.
If required these dilated tortuous veins should be excised well in time to avoid further ulceration.
If surgeon does not see any big risk then may be the things can respond to cleaning and dressings, which you can learn yourself and carry on till it heals.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

What is best to clean and should I apply antibiotic cream? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The hydrogen peroxide solution or savlon solution in sterile water is best option for such ragged wounds.
Antibacterial creams should be applied.
Options are Fusidin or Neosporin to be applied twice a day.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 15 hours later
What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I already take baby aspirin what else would you suggest? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 11 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
You should avoid from injury, wear long pants to keep safe.
Avoid prolonged erect postures.
Get examined by a local surgeon. If correctable, surgical treatment gives great relief.
Taking aspirin is sufficient help, if it does not help then probably it is time for surgeon to act.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Neosporin

doctor1 MD

I have a little cut on my clit but I ve had it for a week or so and it s not healing and it s very painful to have anything touch it like underwear and something s sitting and walking even laying down! What should i do I put neosporin on it to help but it s not really what should I do

doctor1 MD

tick bite did not know he was on me until 3 to 4 days later my wife pulled him completely out now I have a infected area the size of a green pea and redness area the size of a half dollar after initially pulling out the tick I washed with soap applied acohol and the Neosporin next day I applied Benadryl for itching. now wioth some slight oozing I don t know what to do but see a doctor and apply Neosporin again now

doctor1 MD

I recently had a skin graph done on friday. I got two stitches in the area where the sample was taken from. I was cleaning the area with witch hazel and neosporin. I began to experience a lot of pain in the area and a nurse told me to clean it with vinegar and water. She also said to use polysporin instead of the nerosporin. My fear is I m getting a possible infection please help.

doctor1 MD

I have a very sensitive patch (burning itch) @ the base of my spine, top of butt crack. There is a rough "basketball skin" patch running down inside my butt cheek. Also between my thigh & scrotum & above the penis in the pubic hair is very red & itchy.Blue star ointment gives the only releif but burns terribly.Have tried otc antifungals, benadryl, neosporin, name it, at wits end. Dr. said yeast infection use otc antifungal creme, already know that dont help. In agony please help.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doc, My wife is taking "Lactare" to increase milk quantity. Currently the dosage is 3 capsules/day. Wanted to check: a. Any side effects using Lactare b. Can we change the dosage to 1 or 2 capsules when milk quantity is good c. can we use...

doctor1 MD

hi I have a concern I was getting water for the camber i was carrying it and all of sudden I tapped a gentlemen at work and I looked at him and I never said a word cause because I was preoccupied with the water just tapped him and he replied you...

doctor1 MD

Hey doctor, Recently I noticed this black spot on the right side of my throat and I was just wondering if this is something I should get checked out by my doctor? It kind of came out of nowhere and I just noticed it yesterday and I don’t really...