Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Noticed bumps on the back of upper thighs and buttocks. What can be this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
HI there, I was recently in Florida and noticed I got bumps on the back of my upper thighs and buttocks ..that looked like goosebumps...I am familiar with Keratosis pylaris..and I do not have it....and this just came on suddenly....I am 50 years old..and I highly doubt I can get KP now...this was 2 weeks ago..and I still have it...I am going to the dermatologist but appt is 2 weeks out.
I also got IGH last one day they appeared on my legs..and I do know that it was all that day..because I have had the blessing of clear skin...and then you this case you think its related to my current issue..thanks!
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

Keratosis pilaris is a fairly common skin condition characterized by the appearance of bumps like goose bumps on hairy parts of the body especially on the back and outer sides of the arm and less frequently the forearm, the thighs and buttocks.
It is genetic disease and its bumps are usually white or red, and generally do not hurt or itch. It turns to be favored by dry skin and is associated with a family history in some cases.

However, KP turns to affect quite a small number of adults especially after 30-40 years. There is no precise treatment for KP and current treatment makes use of salicylic acid or retinoids in a bit to clear keratin which is deposited in the bumps.

Other conditions that could present in a similar way as KP include
-Acne vulgaris.
-Atopic dermatitis.
-Keratosis follicularis (Darier's disease)
-Milia etc.

It will be necessary to XXXXXXX the dermatologist for a review and for the appropriate diagnosis.

Meanwhile, you could apply moisturizing lotions and avoid to traumatized area.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query please, do not hesitate, i will be waiting to response.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor