Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Noticed bumps in pubic area. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12678 Questions
bumps in pubic areaI shaved my pubic area and after I noticed the razor had rust on it. I started getting the razor burn bumps. I thought nothing about it untill it started spreading and will not go away and it has been 6 months. I went and got chech for an std to be safe and the results came back negative. the bumps do not itch nor any kind of irritation. what is it and how do I make it go away?
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From the symptoms that you have described, these bumps sound like small irritated hair follicles causing folliculitis or clogged pores. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or shaving or blockage of the follicle.

As far as the treatment is concerned, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also avoid wearing tight fitting clothes and wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and underwear. Wash the area well with an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as Neosporin are also useful. You can apply 1% hydrocortisone cream for an earlier relief.

In case, the bumps turn painful or causes open sores, physical examination and systemic antibiotics ,may be needed. Till then wear cotton clothes and try not to irritate the bumps.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed bumps in pubic area. How to get relief? 11 hours later
after your response I did a little research on flliculitis and I read that the bumps should be irritated and itchy and mine are not, they don't bother me in any way other than looking ugly, should that make a difference? is it worth making a doctor visit?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Even if the bumps are not irritated or itchy, application of hydrocortisone ointment will be helpful. In case there is no improvement after a week, you can visit a dermatologist for a direct examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor