• question-icon

Noticed bump on the soft tissue of the mouth. Can you have lymph nodes on the soft tissue of the mouth?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Question: hi. i was hoping to ask a dentist a question. about 9 days ago i discovered a bump on the soft tissue of my mouth on the right side. it was initially the size of a pee but now feels like the size of a b-b. it is located right before my throat. you cant see it but can only feel it with your finger. it doesnt hurt. i only discovered it because i had some sunflower seeds stuck in my throat and went "fishing" for them. i went to a regular doc last Thursday who said it was an irritation due to me "fishing" back there. yesterday i went to the dentist and he said it was a lymph node and not to worry. can you have lymph nodes on the soft tissue of the mouth? if this is what it is...how long until it goes away. i still feel worried about it. thanks. XXXXXX-
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 43 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

As you mentioned that you visited dentist,so he might have done complete oral examination.Generally such condition arises if there is any abscess in tooth which leads to inflammation but if its not the condition then it can be lymph node enlargement.
Lymph node can be enlarged commonly due to infection which can be because of:-
Abscessed or impacted tooth
Ear infection
Colds, flu, and other infections
Gingivitis
Mononucleosis
Mouth sores
Tonsillitis
Tuberculosis
Skin infections

In your case cause is irritation because of exploring the area & its nothing to worry about.
It will get cured when infection will subside, a time of 10 to 15 days to reduce the swelling.
If it doesn't go away within this time than its better to consult an ENT specialist to check other causes.

Hope, I have clarified your query. If any doubt, please feel free to ask.

Dr.Neha Sumra
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 50 minutes later
hi. thanks for the fast response. are you a dentist? the area is between where my upper and lower jaw connect in the back past the teeth. my second to last molar on top lost a filling over a month ago. i will be getting it fixed later this month. the tooth doesnt hurt. could there still be infection in the tooth causing the swollen lymph node? could the cause be allergies? acid reflux? etc? dentist said it may never go away. thanks. XXXXXX-
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 10 minutes later
Hi

Yes, I am a dentist.
Your problem can be due dislodged restoration. I would advise you to go for an IOPAR (a type of dental X-ray) of same tooth before getting it restored. Lymph node enlargement can't be due to acid reflux or allergies.

Its nothing to worry about.
You will be fine soon.

Dr.Neha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist