Noticed bump on bottom of thumb. Could it be warts?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi...I am a very healthy 28 year old male.

I have noticed 2 bumps on the bottom of my thumb where it connects to my wrist. I wanted to see if these are common warts or something else. They do not resemble any common hand wart I have ever had so I am hoping they are not hand warts.

I have attached two photos. The first was taken with a flash and makes the bumps appear much darker than they really are. In the second photo, which was taken without flash, you can see they are nearly flesh colored.

I think these have been there for quite a while but have become just slightly more prominent enough for me to really notice them.

Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX.
You have two small swelling at the base of your thumb.
I saw the photograph which you have attached with your question.
Thanks for uploading your photographs.
From the pictures, it looks that you right, these small swellings are common warts and warts do occur at this site also.
There occur due to a viral infection, caused by HPV (human papilloma virus)
They disappear with treatment.
Hope this answers your question.
Let me know, if you have any more queries.
Dr Sadiq.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Sadiq Mughal 18 minutes later
Hi doctor,

Thank you for your information. These two swellings don't look like the typical warts on my hands I have had in the past. Is there anything else they could be? Thank you..
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for your follow up.

After reviewing the pictures again, the other possibilities include:
1. Molluscum contagiosum - the first picture revealed a flesh coloured skin raised lesion with ?punctum
2. Inflammatory response secondary to some insect bite
3. Impetigo (less likely) secondary to superficial bacterial infection

A direct skin examination under a broad light along with study of skin sample under the microscope can be helpful to narrow down the possibilities.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Take care and Regards,

Dr XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sadiq Mughal 5 days later
Hi doctor - I have looked back at some old pictures of myself in which my hands are visible and I have determined these bumps have been present for about a year. They still don't have the appearance of any wart I've ever had as they do not have a head and they "flex" or move with the skin when pulled instead of being a hard mass. Does this still sound like the bumps would be common warts?
Hi thanks for follow up.

I can understand your concern.

As I described above in detail various possibilities of this swelling, I am still of the opinion that common wart is the first possibility followed by Molluscum contagiosum as second.

First thing to do would be to get it examined by a dermatologist. Then an excision biopsy of this bump may be done for histopathological examination. Excision biopsy is a very small surgical procedure, which can be done under local anesthesia and will take only few minutes.

Hope this answers your question.

Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Sadiq Mughal 20 hours later
Hey Doctor,

I've been putting a salicylic acid wart remover on it for the past few days. The 2 bumps haven't responded to it at all. I'm wondering if these might be scar tissue from a random isolated cut or hot water burn from cooking...something like that. What are some causes of the Molluscum contagiosum you mentioned? Thanks again.

Thanks for the follow up.

No, these bumps don't seem to be due to scar from an isolated cut or from burns.
Molluscum contagiosum is caused by virus from poxvirus family. It does not have any particular cause to appear. It is contagious, as it can spread from one area of the body to another and can also spread by direct contact.
Warts usually disappear without treatment in a year. With treatment, it takes months to disappear.

If you don't have any more queries, you can close the discussion.

Dr Sadiq