Noticed bruising and pain on head after a hit. Took tylenol. Suggest

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: Hello, two nights ago I bumped the side of my head and ear on my guitar while trying to duck my head under the strap and put it away. The guitar was about 10 inches from my face and it was not a very forceful hit. Nevertheless, I decided to ice the area 20 minutes-on and 30 minutes-off for about three hours because I had already had a headache before the incident. The next day I was completely fine. I actually forgot about the whole thing. This morning I woke up and had a fairly bad pain in a small area right above my sideburn and close to my ear (I think this is the temple, but not sure). It is sensitive to touch, chew, open my mouth all the way or move my jaw in certain directions. There may be the beginning of a bruise on my cheek, but I am not sure and that's not really where I hit myself. I am taking Tylenol, but it's not helping that much. I have no noticeable swelling and no other symptoms; just anxiety. I hit my head much harder in the same area (about 1.5 inches higher) ten months ago and it got better in about five days but did not "skip a day" and did not hurt as bad. My questions: It seemed like a pretty light hit, so why does it hurt so bad and why now (not yesterday)? Is it possible I over-iced it and aggravated a nerve? Is there anything I need to worry about or look out for? I am hoping it will just feel better but am looking forward to a response. Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious injury to brain or any nerve. Most likley, you have developed soft tissue injury and hematoma (bleeding underneath the skin in the soft tissue) at the site of injury. Since you applied ice, the pain was not felt immediately, however, as the effect weared off, the pain was noted the next day. I also agree that this pain and discomfort would go away in a few days. Tylenol is a weak anti-inflammatory agent, instead, you could use diclofenac or ibuprofen tablets. If symptoms persist beyond 4-5 days, you may consult a doctor. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in