Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Noticed bruise on upper leg and pelvic region after swimming. What could it be?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hello, thanks for your help! Yesterday I went to the pool and had a very vigourous 1 mile swim, 72 laps with flip turns. When I got out of the pool, I noticed a purple bruise on my upper leg and pelvic region, left side. In the crease of my leg between pelvic bruise and upper leg bruise, there is no bruise. I looks like a burst blood vessel. It does not hurt at all, but is definitely ugly! Any thoughts?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

From description it seems that you might developed exercise induced bruise.Intense exercise(in your case vigourous swimming) that puts a lot of stress on the legs and pelvis region can lead to bruising, particularly if you are performing the exercise for a long period of time.

Most bruises will go away on their own without treatment. If the bruising is more severe, resting your legs and elevating them above the heart can help the blood from pooling. Wrapping the bruise with a bandage can help speed up the healing process. If you have a bruise now and again as the result of intense exercise, it shouldn't be cause for concern. However, bruising that occurs as the result of light exercise and no obvious trauma is cause for concern.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor