Noticed bruise on inner arms and thighs. What could it be?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: unexplain bruising on inner arms and thighs...What could it be? I have really dry skin put it seems that it may be under the surface. I can take pictures and send them if that will help.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such bruising is characteristic for blood clotting problem. It can be caused by anticoagulant medicines or (if you do not take any), by some blood diseases involving platelets or coagulation factors. It is hard to tell exact reason of the factor causing it that is why you should have your blood tested. It is advisable to start with CBC and see if there are any problems.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 hours later
Are these type of diseases life threating? I have had this problem for about 8months.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Depending of the reason, it can be life threatening. You need to imagine that your blood can cause such uncontrolled bleeding everywhere in your body, not only under the skin. So you may have bleedings from gastrointestinal tract or into your brain as well. You never know.
In such way can leukemia appear for example, liver cirrhosis or vessels inflammation. As you can see, this diseases are serious. That is why you should not wait anymore and have it checked.

Hope this will help.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 hours later
Thanks. I will not wait any longer. Self-employed...no insurance. That's why I waited but this sounds like I can not wait until things get better.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Hello!

All the best for you.

Regards.