Noticed brown stringy odorless discharge after periods. HPT negative. Worrisome

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I ended my period. Six days later, I had brown stringy odorless discharge. The string ones went away and I have consistently had brown discharge for almost two weeks. I am on generic ortho tricyclin lo. I have three pills left so I am due for a period in 4 days. I took pregnancy test and negative.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo is a breakthrough bleeding, spotting, brown discharge etc as side effects.
So that may be responsible for your problem.
As you used the pill regularly there is very less chance for pregnancy.
Usually these type of menstrual irregularities will subside soon.
So you watch in the next cycle. If the same problem repeats better to consult gynecologist and take additional dose of hormones to control the brown discharge.
If discharge persists even after that, better to change the brand of contraceptive pills with your doctor's advice.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
If I do not receive a period or brown discharge persists in place of period, shall
I worry about pregnancy? I have been on this medication for almost a full year and have not experienced this before. Years ago I took depo provera shot for 9 months. I had period for a week, brown discharge off and on for two weeks, and clear for a week. This was the cycle every single month i took the shot. Dropped 20 lbs which was horrible. I was 102 and went down to 82.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later

Usually with proper use of contraceptive pills the chances of pregnancy is very less.
If you missed a pill or intake delayed for 4 to 5 hours at any time, better to undergo pregnancy test once.
Menstrual irregularities can start at any time during the intake of contraceptive pills.
As you had many problems with depo, better to continue the tablets only.
So you watch in the next cycle, if same symptoms repeat go for treatment.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.