Noticed blurry and watery eyes after stopping warfarin. Had heart valve repair for endocarditis. Suggest

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: They said that I could stop taking warfarin after 90 days and I stopped taking it 10 days ago. I still have concerns since I was told that around Thanksgiving, I would be back to normal and I don't feel that way. While my eyes were blurry and watery before probably because of 15 years of chronic fagitue syndrome (which I still have),the blurrriness and watery eyes are now twice as bad. Also, when i am prostrate, i am aware of my heart beating (normally and not fast or erratic but that's doesn't seem normal to me. The best times for my symptoms are between 11 p.m. and 2:00a.m. and worst time is during the afternoon and early evening. I am wondering whether things will EVER return to normal. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refers to the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, The symptoms you are having will disappear after Thanksgiving; so, you need to have patience. If the blurry vision will persist after Thanksgiving (next week), you can consult an ophthalmologist to rule out other eye problems. One of the causes to your symptoms is the post-operation stress, that is normal. As long as your heart check-ups (ECG, Echo, holter) are ok, you do not need to worry too much as you are going to induce more stress to yourself. You should keep doing regular cardiac check ups and ask your physician to start taking anxiolytic drugs to calm you down. The fact that you are feeling your symptoms in the afternoon indicates that you are being in stress. It is good that your heart rate is not irregular. You are feeling your heart beating more when prostrating, because at this position, the heart is closer to the sternum and the wound is still in healing process. All the best! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad