Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Noticed blood in urine after having sex. Faint line seen on pregnancy test kit. Any thoughts?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Hi. I am officially 17 days late today for my period. I skipped the whole month of Feb. My last menstrual was XXXXXXX 27th. I have had light spotting off and on for a week now. Yesterday, my boyfriend and I had sex and today, I have had a few drops of blood in my urine. I have no cramping and no need for a pantyliner, just when I wipe, do I see blood. I took a pregnancy test yesterday morning and it was a faint, positive sign. I'm due for a Period March. 28th. Could I be staring my period? By the way, according to my calendar, yesterday was my calendar says I should be ovulating. Please help? Thank You, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
the commonest cause of lack of periods in a female of reproductive age is pregnancy. Its not unusual anyway to have missed periods, or what is called anovulatory periods.
The pregnancy test is a fundamental test to exclude pregnancy.
The test you did, you are not very sure of the results. It could be worthwhile to do another test maybe using blood samples to measure BHCG levels to actually diagnose pregnancy. An abdominal ultrasound could be very diagnostic and specific to actually see the womb(uterus) to find out whether there is a fetus inside or not, or exclude other causes of bleeding like ovarian cysts.
I think the possibility of a pregnancy should be considered, but its also possible that it should or could be your period (menses) that are recommencing to.
Consulting your gynecologist for a good pregnancy tests, physical examination and an abdominal scan (ultrasound) shall be diagnostic to know exactly what is going on.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor