Noticed bleeding from nose after quitting smoking. What's wrong?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I recently quit smoking after 28 years, every day or 2 for the past couple weeks I will have large what I think are blood clots coming out when I blow my nose, there will also be a little bright red blood.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Quitting of smoking has no relation with your bleeding from nose.
In actuality ,one feels and becomes healthier after quitting smoking.
There can be various causes for your problem.
The general problem can be there,like
1.. If a person is on some blood thinners like aspirin or warfarin
2.. If a person has hypertension.

Local problem can be there,like
1..  If you have some areas of irritation and oozing of blood to form these clots within the nasal turbinates or sinuses
 2.. Sometimes a local infection may cause an ulceration resulting in formation of scab and repeatedly getting that scab dislodged.
 3.. Dry weather increases the the tendency for mucosal drying and rupture of surface vessels resulting in bleeding.

I would advise you to consult an ENT specialist and get the cause diagnosed.
Once the cause is found,a proper treatment can be  instituted.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks