Noticed bleeding during urination. Urine test showing positive leukocytes. What could be the reason?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Bleeding during andafter urination and loose motion.. Did urine test and leukocytes positive. Reason??
Answered by Dr. Prasad 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Infection... Detailed Answer: Hi, Blood with urine is a significant finding. It needs thorough evaluation especially if you are middle aged male and if this is a chronic symptoms. The presence of leukocytes in the urine suggest presence of infection. I suggest my patients to undergo routine urine microscopy and culture test before starting any treatment. Urinary tract infection associated with a stone would be the next close possible reason for the same. Please go ahead with urine routine and culture. You will need an ultrasound scan along with it to isolate the cause. Loose motion is not related to the urinary tract symptoms. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
As soon as I have any food I feel like going to wash room. Reason Dr... This is happening since my delivery a yr back
Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Not a serious problem... Detailed Answer: Hi, What you describe is gastro-colic reflex, a condition normally seen in infants. A group of patients suffering with irritable bowel also report this reflex. Although it isn't a serious concern, most individuals find it annoying and embarrassing. This symptom some times improves gradually with diet change - low spice and fiber XXXXXXX diet, exercise, yoga and transcendental meditation. Few individuals are treated with antidepressant class of drugs after investigating for associated condition like thyroid disorder. You can try the medicines under guidance of a local doctor if the diet and life style modification are not helpful, say after 3-6 months of being on it. Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you need clarification. Best wishes