Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed black colouration on the penis tip. Am not circumcised. What is this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
hi i am not circumsized but can pull my foreskin back. i have recently found near the tip of the head of my penis where urine comes out from it is going slightly bluey/black. it also stings at times. what is the cause and how can i sort this out. i am 22 and obvisoly would be embarassed to see my local GP.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A discolouration and discomfort at the tip of the penis could be due to a few possibilities:
- A recent infection (such as a fungal infection) which is resolving. This could have resulted in scarring and hypersensitivity.
- An inadvertent trauma to that area, for example due to rough masturbation or sexual intercourse or even tight clothing.
- Vitamin deficiencies, e.g. B12 deficiency.

I would suggest the following remedial measures:
- Wash the area (with the foreskin retracted) three to four times daily with diluted betadine solution or diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals or solution should be available with your local chemist)

- After washing and patting dry with a clean cloth, apply a thin layer of an anti-fungal cream like miconazole (Micoderm) or clotrimazole (Candid), twice a day over the affected areas.

- Keep the surrounding areas clean, sweat-free and dry.

- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap or shower gels.

- Avoid wearing tight clothing and wear loose cotton underwear

If the symptoms are persistent or worsening despite trying these measures, then I would suggest that you I would advise you to have a physical examination and a few tests like a urine test, certain basic blood tests. etc. so that the cause for your symptoms can be correctly identified.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor