Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Noticed a sub-cutaneous lump under arm. What can be done now?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I recently noticed a sub-cutaneous lump, about 1" diameter, under my left arm. Do you recommend I have it checked by a doctor? If so what type of specialist? I am a 75 year old male, single.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get it examined by a surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,
Thanks for writing to us.
A sub cutaneous lump is most commonly a lipoma.
A lipoma is benign collection of fat.
Other possibility could be a sebaceous cyst.

The lesions can be best defined by clinical examination, for the same I would advise you to book an appointment with a general surgeon. As such lipoma and sebaceous cyst are benign lesions and may be left as such or excised if the need be. However as a definite diagnosis can only be made by clinical examination, a doctor's visit is necessary.
Hope this helped.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor