Noticed a spot near my chin which is bald. What could be this?

Dr. P V S Prasad

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I just noticed a dime sized spot in my beard near my chin which is bald. So, my beard grows out everywhere, but in this little spot. Seems to have popped up suddenly. Any idea why this would occur?
Thanks,
Brandon
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 1 hour later
Hi

thanks for posting your query.
Your symptoms are suggestive of a condition called alopecia areata.
This is an auto immune disorder which means self destruction.
In your case it is the hairfollicle.
This can be easily corrected.
We treat with intra lesional steroid injection.
Hair will regrow in one month.
There aare also supportive hair vitamins like biotin.
Hence I suggest you to cosult your dermatologist.
But please remember that it will recur in two thirds after some years
I hope I made it clear
Have a good week end
Prasad pvs
Follow up: Dr. P V S Prasad 26 hours later
Hi, thanks for your response. What can be the cause of this auto immune disorder? Stress? Something else in my lifestyle?

Donyou think I should wait and see if the problem fixes itself before going to a dermatologist? Or go straight away?

Appreciate your feedback.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 38 hours later
Hi
Sorry for the delayed reply. Thers is no known reason for any auto immune disorder. I
For the second question I suggest u may cosult dermatologist at the earliest so that early treatment will be sucessful.
Thank u for questions
Prasad pvs