Noticed a red dot on upper thigh. What is this? What treatment should be done?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Approximately one week ago I noticed a red dot on the out side of my behind and today I noticed another on a inch or so from the week old one. And a few possible tiny ones on my other cheek on the outside. Several months ago, I had a different looking darker patches on one leg (on the thigh) and another on the other upper thigh. At that time the physician said that it looked like a fungus script Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream. It worked ok still have tiny looking bruises.

I have started to working out rigorously in the past two months and I recall getting these when I played college athletics.
I also recently began drinking protein powder smoothies with Flax, yogurt and various fruits.

I am concerned because a new one happened in a few days.

Any ideas in what it is and treatment?
I am a 44 year old male.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.

The condition you are describing can be tinea vericolor,tinea corporis,asteotic eczema etc.

Also I would like to know-
Since when you have this?
Do you have fungal infection anywhere else on the body presently or in the past?
Do you have itching on the area?Is itching more in night time or day time?
Do you have lesions on finger webs/wrist/abdomen/genital area?
Any family member affected with similar condition?
Do the lesions stay like that or go away after some time?

Can you upload photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot to predict the condition.

Wherever you have a visible lesion on the skin you can take a close up photograph of it and UPLOAD it in UPLOAD YOUR reports section.

Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.

Till then my advise would be to continue the clotrimazole cream and stop application of betamethasone cream.

Awaiting your response.

DrSudarshan
MD Dermatology.